Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My One Word for 2011

Earlier this month, K-Love began talking about choosing "one word" for 2011 instead of setting resolutions. The thought is that so many times we set resolutions for the year that we end up totally forgetting about by Jan 31. So, why set yourself up for that type of failure.

Instead, they suggested that we choose one word to focus on all year, a word that would permeate every aspect of our lives . . . not just our spiritual life. This concept comes from the organization My One Word. You can go to their website to find out more if you like.

I really began thinking and praying on this thought . . . choosing one word that needs to be my focus for this year. The word God gave me is "SERVANT". It was actually pretty easy for me to choose, as I had been praying for months that God would give me a servant's heart, like the heart of Jesus.

You see, this is an area that I feel that I have "lacked in" over the years . . . I have been a little too self-focused . . . some might even say a little "high maintenance" in some ways. The thought that everything wasn't somehow "about me" . . . well what a shocker!! OK, I may be exaggerating a little bit, but those who have known me the closest over the years know what I'm talking about.

So, my one word "SERVANT" is where my focus will be. A servant to my Lord, a servant to my family, a servant to my friends, a servant to my agents, a servant to my clients, a servant to my neighbors, a servant to my church, a servant to whomever God sends me . . . which, according to the His Word is everyone. :-) I guess, I'm going to be busy. LOL!!

The key about being a servant is that I cannot focus on myself AND serve . . . it is impossible. Hmmm, now I see why God chose this word for me. No doubt, this is going to be a growing year for me. Will I stumble and be self-serving at times? I can guarantee it. When I am, please forgive me. I will work hard to keep my heart from going there and I know that through God's strength and grace a servant's heart will emerge. How do I know this? Well God's word promises me that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13) and you can bet that I will be continually going to the well of prayer that connects me to the strength of Jesus Christ.

Is there a word that you need to focus on this year? A word that will help strengthen you in your walk and fellowship with God and in other areas of your life? Think about it, talk to God about it.

Thanks for reading and God Bless!!

Tracy

2 comments:

  1. You know what Tracy?? The one thing both you and I can be sure of this year is that we WILL stumble. You WILL have self-serving moments that scream 'I DON'T WANT TO BE A SERVANT ANYMORE!!' and I will do the most irresponsible things that also state to the world 'THIS WOMAN HAS ZERO DISCIPLINE!'. Is that why God put each other in our paths? To pick each up when we stumble? Maybe. I'm here for you friend....but I think you'll do just fine! Can't wait to see how the Lord will use both of us this year!

    ReplyDelete